The library was formed in 1922, one year after the Ontario College of Art moved
into its own building in Grange Park. At that time, the college had a staff of seven instructors, six visiting instructor and three assistant instructors, under the direction of a principal and vice-principal, with 330 registered students. Robert Holmes(botanist, master of water colour technique, and flower painter) successfully lobbied for the establishment of a library and generously donated his personal book collection to the OCAD. Space on the second floor of the OCA building (now known as the “Grange Wing”) was partitioned off from the life model’s dressing room to form a small library.
Materials for this collection provided by: The Ontario College of Art & Design